Institute of Biotechnology
(Visiting address: Viikinkaari 5d)
00014 University of Helsinki
Tel +358 2941 59921
Fax +358 2941 59366
University of Helsinki Business
Identity Code: FI-03134717
The Institute of Biotechnology (BI) is a leading European research institute within the University of Helsinki with a mission to increase knowledge in cross‐disciplinary biology and biotechnology. The Institute has state‐of-the‐art facilities in imaging, model organisms, proteomics, genomics, crystallography and NMR.
The research activities of the Institute are carried out mainly in four research programs, each consisting of several multidisciplinary groups focusing on research ranging from biophysics and cell biology to genomics, developmental biology, and biotechnology. More information about our research groups is available on http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/about.html
We are seeking outstanding candidates for PhD-projects in the Institute of Biotechnology. The successful candidates will start their projects as soon as possible (latest December 2016) and formally register with a faculty and the Integrative Life Science (ILS) doctoral program or another doctoral program in the University of Helsinki depending on the project to be undertaken. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications based on the University salary system. The positions are full time starting immediately or upon mutual agreement.
Available PhD projects:
Qualifications and experience:
Applicants are expected to have either:
1. An appropriate higher university degree (Master's degree) OR
2. An equivalent appropriate degree or qualification which provides the student with sufficient knowledge and skills for doctoral studies. E.g. an Honours degree (UK/Commonwealth system, grade 2.1 or above) plus at least nine-months of supervised bioscience research, completed within the same 2-year window. Their academic track-record should make them eligible for enrolment in an international doctoral programme in their home country.
BI will apply a strict non-discrimination policy in respect of gender, nationality, age, and physical disability.
Application and selection process:
Candidates are invited to apply online no later than Friday April 15th, 2016 at 23:59 Eastern European Time. Applications submitted after the deadline or failing to meet the requirements above will not be considered.
To apply, applicants should submit in the online system the following materials in English.
- Online application in which three of the available projects must be selected, in order of preference.
- A single PDF file describing, in separate sections,
- CV or resume (maximum 2 pages)
- one-page motivation letter,
- documentation of undergraduate and postgraduate courses taken, including grades obtained and course content,
- degree certificates or statements from the course coordinator regarding expected graduation in 2016,
In addition, names and contact details of two academic referees are requested in the online application from.
Link to the online application form:
Applications are accepted only through the online application form:
Application review will begin after the close of the call. Top candidates will be invited for an interview with a selection committee. All applicants will be informed by email during the selection process.
Erkki Raulo, PhD
Integrative Life Science (ILS) Doctoral Program,
and the Institute of Biotechnology
P.O. Box 56
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Phone +358 50 5964665
Postdoctoral Position in Evolutionary, Developmental and Regenerative Neurobiology
One Postdoctoral position is available at the Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, in
the laboratory of Dr. Nicolas Di-Poi. Our laboratory is studying the development, evolution and regeneration of craniofacial and neural tissues in nonmammalian model organisms that reliably inform human diseases. This is a new and exciting research field, with the goal to provide an evolutionary context to the key signaling pathways of biological regeneration.